Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Homemade Granola

I will preface this post by telling you this: I do not count calories, so none of my recipes will have calorie counts, just relative serving sizes. However, I DO limit my servings to one and I do my best to use high quality ingredients.

Granola
4 cups rolled oats
1 cup wheat germ (or you can substitute ground flax seed)
2 cups sunflower seeds (you could substitute one cup each of any nut and/or seed you like)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup olive oil (you can substitute any oil you'd like)
1/4 cup honey
14 cup water
1 1/2 to 2 cups dried fruit

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Mix together all dry ingredients (except fruit).
3. Make a well in the center and add all liquid ingredients.
4. Incorporate well, and spread onto a large baking pan.
5. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown on top, stirring every 15 minutes or so to make sure it doesn't stick.
6. Let cool and add fruit.
7. Stir well and ENJOY!


Now, as you can see, this recipe is very forgiving, and you can add or subtract things to your liking. If you like your granola a little stickier, add more honey (this granola is pretty dry). This recipe will yield 13 servings of 3/4 cup.



No comments:

Post a Comment